The fountain is located at the bottom of a bowl oriented to the northeast, draining the water flowing in the valleys of the Lesse. A small stream arose upstream. A well was dug in the early 1800s, late 1700. At a town council meeting in March 1859, plans were made to build a new fountain following the shortage of drinking water in 1857 and 1858.
The current appearance is the result of modernization undertaken around 1900. The two stone tanks, each supplied by their own manual pump, come from the firm W. Garvens of Antwerp. However, we don’t know, if the circular water trough is contemporary with this renovation. No longer used or maintained since 1960, the pumps are of course broken down. People still came to get this pure and fresh water to solidify the butter in the molds to facilitate packaging in this characteristic paper. The means of bringing back water was always that used for centuries: THE PALANCHE. The transverse yoke, used when the trails weren’t too narrow, was carved around the user’s shoulders and was therefore a very personal object.
Work to provide the village with running water began during the Second World War (the water tower dates from 1943). However, the distribution will not be operational until 1949. In June 1946, the repair work on the road damaged by the laying of water pipes was entrusted to Jules Gillet de Malvoisin for the sum of 66,800 BF. The station’s equipment was put up for auction soon after. However, the distribution would not be operational until 1949.Collection is carried out in the woods (near “Sur le Hé”). The water is then brought to the water tower located along the road to Mesnil.
With the creation of the new square, the place was cleaned and fitted out in order to give back to this heritage space its former glory and its conviviality even if we no longer do the laundry and if we no longer exchange the gossip. Unfortunately, this place, which gives off as much tranquillity as in a sanctuary, has in no way sensitized the few vandals who degraded the installations in the 1980s.
Today, it is once again a privileged place of tranquility.