Castle of Vêves
OPENING HOURS :
Open from 6th April till 3 November
from 10 am to 05pm (last visit) during weekends and Bank Holidays
Open from 15/07 till 31/08 open every day from 10 am to 05pm
Open every day on request from 01/01 till 31/12
Special family visits all the season; consult our website
child: 5 € / adult: 8 € / pensioner-student: 7 €
Group: adult: 7 €
(+ guide 55 €)
Straight from a fairy tale, the castle of Vêves proudly towers
above a rocky spur.
With its pentagonal shape and five pepper pot towers, we name it as
the most representative monument of 14th century Belgian military architecture.
According to tradition,
its origins go back to Pépin de Herstal (685).
It was destroyed
by the Normans in 1200; in 1230 a veritable fortress was erected
on the same location, which was equipped with culverins until the end of the old government.
The castle was restored many times, the chapel was destroyed during the German occupation of 1914 - 1918.
Office du tourisme de Houyet 15 rue St roch 5560 Houyet - Realization and management of the site : Office du tourisme - Copyright © 2013 - All rights private